Thursday, April 5, 2007

Thursday

This morning 5 students who were from either the local college or the high school ( was first told one and than the other so I'm not sure which it was -hard to tell by looking) came to volunteer at the clinic. They worked mostly with the mobiles and the toddlers who were very happy to receive the extra attention. I worked with a rotating group of 7-10 babies and was joined frequently by Christina (Anna Maria's aid). She is especially fond of Crina and often comes in to see her.

I spent some extra time with Alexandra this afternoon. I have brought her out every day and usually she plays by herself most of the time and will often ignore me when I try to talk or play with her. But not today. Today she was in a good mood and she was very interactive. I tickled her and tossed her about (in a gentle way of course as she has brittle bone disease) and she just giggled and giggled. She's warmed up to me a lot over the few weeks that I've been here. Although she is entirely non verbal she has her own way of communicating (sometimes subtle sometimes blunt) and knows how to express herself. She is so serious most of the time but she has such a great smile and a great laugh if she feels like sharing them. I wish I could take her home with me. I love how stubborn she is in her quiet way. She is a very strong girl and very smart. She doesn't talk but it's clear that she has a bright little mind. And she is quite beautiful as well. The funny hair cut and old clothes don't really show it off but she is very pretty. I wonder what will happen to her. They say they will try to find a foster family for her but it will be difficult because of her medical issues. She's small, I could sneak her onto the plane with me, right? :) I wish.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

After reading your Wed. comments, I'm reminded why I called Octavian "the little bulldozer" as he unintentionally plowed over everything in sight in the mobile babies room! You're doing an amazing job of keeping up with as many little ones as possible. Jennice

Anonymous said...

Mela, You are awesome, working within the limits you have. They are so lucky to get such wonderful attention while you are there. I hope they all get foster families very, very soon. Especially the little one with the brittle bone syndrom. They are all in my prayers. I am picturing them with loving Mama's and Papa's.

Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Mela, I have very much enjoyed reading your blog. It is very clear that you are making a difference in the lives of those children. I know it is an impact that will touch their entire lives. Thank you for being who you are and doing what you continue to do every day- love babies. I love you.
Tina