Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Half way point

We found out today that Andreea will also be going to a foster home this week. Her sister Crina is not ready to leave the clinic yet but will join her in the same foster family when she is ready. And yes Susan, the Andrei I was referring to is the same little special needs boy we worked with last time. I can't really tell you much about him because I haven't been working with him but I can tell you that he is usually in with the rest of the toddlers, not separated. In fact all of the special needs kids are incorporated into the regular groups this time. Alexandra (brittle bone disease) and Ramona (polysistic fibrosis) are with us in the Non mobile group; Maiastra (some sort of brain damage caused by oxygen deprivation during delivery) is in with the mobiles and Sorin (visually impaired) and Andrei (heart defect and cognitive delays) are in with the toddlers. Ana Maria (gastro esophageal reflux disease) has her own personal aid and they are sometimes separate and sometimes join in with the toddlers or come and visit us.

In other news we found out this week that the original birth dates we had for Daniella and Beatrice were wrong. They were both born in 2006 not 2005 so instead of coming up on 2 years they are not even one year old yet. This is very comforting as neither of them can sit or crawl or even has teeth yet. We've been saying all along that they look closer to 9 months than 2 years and we were glad to find that this is in fact so.

Speaking of Beatrice and Daniella, they were both crabby this afternoon. Daniella would not stop moaning and Beatrice would not stop wiggling. This isn't unusual for Beatrice -who I have never seen sit still for more than a second unless she was about to fall asleep- only today it was not happy wiggling. she kept fussing and fidgeting and pulling at the other babies hair. The problem is she's hard to comfort because she won't stop wiggling long enough for you to give her a cuddle. Silly girl. I finally found that if I lay on the ground and let her lie on my stomach (where she can wiggle away) than she was perfectly content. I swear the only reason this girl doesn't know how to sit yet is that she won't stop wiggling long enough to balance herself. (her birthday is in June, making her a Gemini, and those of you who follow astrology will know this explains a few things about Miss B. -she definitely fits the description)

We walked by the new hotel where (hopefully) the next group of volunteers will be staying. It's in a great location -only a few blocks from Alona (the restaurant we frequent), the travel agency, the bank, etc. in downtown Birlad. It's also right across the street from a grocery store so that will be convenient. I'm looking forward to being able to stay there on my next trip. :)

5 comments:

Amy said...

Your mom sent me the link to your blog, so I read all your posts...wow! What an amazing journey you're on, and those babies are so very lucky to have you there. I'm so happy you were able to make the trip again. Give them all love and hugs from your cousin, who, as you know, has a big soft spot for babies herself! Hope to get together soon and hear more about your trip first-hand.

Anonymous said...

Please give Dumi and Octavian a goodbye hug and kiss for me. I am so happy they're going together to a foster home. Jennice

Anonymous said...

Hi Mela,
It makes me happy to hear that little Andreea is going to a foster family. I have put Crina's picture in my car and on my fridge. I haven't been able to stop thinking about her and wishing I was able to bring both of them home with me. I am happy that they will be able to thrive in a family setting!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Mela - what a wonderful thing you are doing! You have all kinds of room in your heart, and babies can certainly fill one up. I will follow your postings and I will be sending prayers your way, for you and for the little ones in your care. Bless you.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.